Sunday, September 21, 2008

"Honey... I did a bad thing..."



So it all starts out like this.... About a month ago Matt's dad was getting rid of this old rocking chair that used to be Matt's grandpa's. I saved it from the garbage deciding that it would be perfect to re-upholster and use in the baby's room for his rocker. I stripped it down with the help of my niece and father-in-law. We saved all the fabric so I would know how to cut the pieces of new fabric. Then I went and bought the cutest fabric to redo it with. Then this last Thursday I took a day off of work and spent the whole day getting it ready to go. I sanded down all the wood parts that would show and I painted them with three or four coats and antiqued them. I had it the garage set out to dry. Then I went to a church volleyball game.... (This is where it takes a turn for the worst) I called Matt to come walk me home and that's when he confessed his sins. He said "Honey, I did a really bonehead thing... but I think I can fix it!" Oh man! So he takes me by the hand and walks me out into the garage. I look down and see my chair crumpled in on itself. He looks at me again and says... "Don't worry because I think I can fix it..." (He had backed into it without even noticing until he couldn't get his truck all the way in the garage.) Then the saddest/funniest part was when he went to lift it into the back of his truck... It collapsed into splinters in his hands. So needless to say we spent the night in mourning and then Matt, being the sweetheart that he is, bought me a new rocking chair courtesy of RC Willey the next day. 

6 comments:

Danna said...

Oh no!! I bet Matt felt horrible! I am glad he made it all better though :) I love new chair it looks great!

The Frame Family said...

Oh how sad! At least he was honest:) And hey, you got a really cute new chair out of it!

Heather said...

At least he made it up to you. That sounds like something I could do for sure. We need baby belly pics, by the way!

J. Anderson Family said...

That is so funny! I think I would just be so sad about all the work I had put into it!

Marcae said...

Okay, so I don't know whether to laugh or cry (actually, I am laughing hysterically right now). Poor Matt. I do like the new rocker though.
How are you feeling? Not too much longer to go

shelbell said...

Ah, that is so sweet of him. Pretty funny story though. Kudos to you for even attempting to re-upholster a chair! If I remember right I think your mom is good at stuff like that too.